Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Back in the Saddle


After the best part of 4 years away, I've decided to give this blog another spin round the block.

I reluctantly stopped in 2010 after a major rethink on priorities. Blogging was great fun, and led to lots of lively debates in the comments, as well as generating some news stories both local and national.

I wasn't clear however that I was getting 'bangs for my bucks' in terms of the time I was investing in Darlington Councillor. Specifically, it didn't get good readership amongst the people I was representing in Haughton West, which is after all why I'm in local politics in the first place. I decided to put all my efforts into my e-newsletter, which is now delivered to over 400 households in the ward.

Now feels a good time to give blogging another go, however. We're less than 9 months from 'meaning of life' local and national elections, whilst local government faces an existential crisis with further massive cuts on the cards if the Coalition is re-elected.

I intend to keep the blog unmoderated, so please play nicely! I expect a higher class of comment from you all than I read in the Echo story comments most days.

I will have to have a good clear-out of links to blogs that are no more too. As far as I'm aware, there's a dearth now of political bloggers in the North East, but if you know of any (from whichever party - I try to be ecumenical) do let me know. With Facebook and Twitter, is there any role now for blogging? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: