Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Proud Dad Corner

Well, it's my blog, so I should be allowed to indulge myself once in a while. On Bank Holiday Monday I had some brief respite from the campaign to take AJ to the North Yorkshire Chess Championship in York. There were children from all over the county, and beyond, competing - AJ was in the U7 category, although he played in a group containing 8-year olds too.

James played chess competitively when he was at primary school too, so I was prepared for the long, long day. There can lots of pressure on some very young shoulders at these events, and it was a great shame to see a few children in tears after results didn't go their way.

Fortunately, AJ treats those twin imposters just the same, and was relaxed about his 2 defeats. Nonethless, he won 4 matches (including a nail-biting decider at the end) as so was crowned the North Yorkshire champion (or Supremo in chess-speak). He's now qualified for the regional finals in Manchester in early July.

Meanwhile, I'd like to be able to write about James' national swimming achievements - but he's banned me from talking about it on the blog. No matter - I'm as proud as punch of both of them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan Macnab writes...

Congratulations. Your pride really comes out in your posting.

Well done.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see that some of todays youngsters can find enjoyment in things other than computer games and game consoles.

Anonymous said...

Firstly good luck to the boys I wish them well.

As for "Fortunately, AJ treats those twin imposters just the same" I only hope Labour will be so gracious come the election results and take defeat in its stride.

Darlington Councillor said...

Thanks all, for your comments.

Ref the last comment - Labour never plans for defeat! I've got the champagne on ice!!

Anonymous said...

But how many glass's will you need?

Drinking alone is the first sign of alchoholism. ;)