Monday, October 20, 2008

Berwick




Stephen Hughes MEP and Labour PPC Alan Strickland with one of Saturday's Labour teams.

One of the exciting things about standing in the European Parliamentary elections is having a campaign area which stretches from the Tweed to the Tees.

So it was good to travel to Berwick on Saturday with Stephen Hughes MEP to talk about current developments in the European Parliament, as well as Labour's campaign in the run-up to the June 2009 elections.

Berwick has an active Labour presence, marshalled by their PPC Alan Strickland. I met Alan at this year's Labour Party conference, and was impressed by his dynamism. Introducing the discussion on Saturday, Alan told us about his recent experience fighting for better conditions for tenants in the constituency - there are some real abuses taking place, and local people are crying out for a champion. Neither the Tories nor the LibDems seem in the least interested, and Alan would certainly make a first-class constituency MP.

After the talk, we joined Alan and party members door-knocking in Tweedmouth. It was especially interesting for me to speak to a couple of people who had never voted Labour in their lives, but who are now thinking about supporting Gordon Brown after the events of the last few weeks.

We'll be back in Berwick as the campaign develops.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan Macnab writes....

Hope you didn't get chased or bitten by angry dogs. The canvassers worst nightmare.

The sight that used to put me in two minds about crossing the threshold was one on a garden gate or on the side of a house showing a rottweiller or a German sheep dog with the chilling words underneath "I live here." I always asked myself in such circumstances "do I chance it and hope it's asleep" or "should I not bother?"

Sometimes I took my life in my hands only to hear a growling, barking, seemingly large animal corralled in the back yard desperately trying to demolish the back gate as I was putting the leaflet through the front door. A sprint down the garden to the safety of the street was swiftly executed.

Anonymous said...

I thought i was looking at a photo of the Tories lol