- 63% of residents were aware of their council taking positive action to tackle climate change.
- 76% of people agree or strongly agree that local councils have a key role to play in combating climate change, and 77% think it is part of their role.
- Women are less likely to be in favour of incentives to encourage people to reduce their emissions – but are more likely to support penalties to combat this.
- More people would be likely to vote for a candidate in local elections that had policies to combat climate change (62%) than in a general election (61%).
- 70% believe climate change should be one of the top five priorities for their council.
With some big decisions in Darlington coming up on waste and waste disposal, DBC needs to demonstrate just how seriously it is taking this issue. I'll be taking on the excellent work of my predecessor Veronica Copeland in spearheading the "reduce, reuse and recycle" campaign. And today, it's off to Lascelles Green Fair, to support their initiative.