Friday, January 11, 2008

What did you get for Christmas?


Sexual health workers from the local Primary Care Trust (PCT) were in the Cornmill this lunchtime raising awareness about Chlamydia.


Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STI). It often has no symptoms and can cause infertility in both men and women if left untreated. Chlamydia can be detected with a simple urine test and is easily treated with antibiotics.


In my role as Cabinet Member for Health and Leisure, I was delighted to go along and support the campaign. PCT staff are obviously doing a great job, and they told me that a number of young people they'd spoken to that day were going to get themselves tested after chatting to them. As a part-time taxi driver, sorry, transporter of my 16-year old son, I became aware of the campaign through being made to listen to Galaxy FM morning, noon and night.


I had a nagging doubt that a picture of me next to a big poster asking "Have I got it?" may come back to haunt me. Still it makes a change from being endlessly snapped next to road machinery...

No comments: