Tuesday, November 27, 2007

There and back again

Time to move AJ's bedtime reading from books a little more challenging than the Thomas the Tank Engine tales I mostly read to him.

So at the weekend, we started J R R Tolkein's The Hobbit. It seems a very long time ago now, but I think I read it to James when he was about the same age. The very different response I got was instructive.

From what I can recall, James was spell-bound by the book, which was completely unknown to him. AJ on the other hand has played The Hobbit on James' PlayStation2. Consequently, after the first few pages, he was demanding to know where the goblins were, and was patiently explaining to me how Gandalf's staff works.

Chapter One, which readers of the book will know deals exclusively with a tea party hosted by Bilbo for the dwarves and Gandalf, seemed very hard work indeed. I'm sure AJ will settle down to the much slower rhythm of the novel, but for the PlayStation generation, classic works of fiction may prove to be something of a challenge.

6 comments:

miketually said...

We're on Daisy Meadows' Rainbow Magic books here as bedtime reading. I hate them. With a passion...

I can't wait until I can move our eldest onto something a bit less pink and fluffy. I've got Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and Garth Nix's Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen ready, but they're a bit heavy and will probably have to sit on the shelf for another 6 or 7 years yet (apart from when I reread them myself).

Ian White, townliar.com said...

I was set off early on the Hobbit, It was our class book when I was about 8-9 might just dig it out. Better read quick Nick the film is released soon I think Feb 08 that will change everyones personal ideas and images of the book forever.

Anonymous said...

Hope AJ enjoys whatever you read to him Nick. I know that you are a great book lover.

Titles he "may" read in the future will be
"The decline and fall of the Labour empire", whilst watching the popular "Donation, Donation, Donation"
Nick, You are a member of the National Executive..sort out this unbeliavable malaise in the Labour party, or you will be slaughtered at the polls.

Anonymous said...

Nick. Sorry for this.

Ian White, I cannot post on your site as I was barred for disagreeing with C.C.
However, I hope that your son is well and that you have been given all the support that you require.

I White, town liar said...

Anonymous thanks for the kind words, assuming you are the same anonymous from a few weeks back no one has been banned from the liar, certainly not by me and I only have 1 moderator, if you give me more details I will personally check it out for you.

Ian White, townliar.com said...

Anonymous I have just checked and there are 3 IP address's blocked send me the last 3 digits for your IP and I will unblock it.