Thursday, September 06, 2007

Complaining to the BBC

In one of my increasingly-regular Victor Meldrew moments, I found myself ranting at the TV during the Sunday morning news review of the papers.

The anchor, Peter Sissons, described John Prescott throughout the slot as "Two Jags". Now yes I know that's his popular nickname, but I expect a senior BBC presenter to show him the courtesy of calling him by his proper name at least once.

Anyway, on my high horse, I fired off a complaint to the BBC. And here's the reply;

I understand you felt it was inappropriate for Peter Sissons to refer to John Prescott as 'two jags' on BBC News 24.
We are always delighted to receive feedback, both positive and negative, from our viewers. Your comments will be fully registered on a daily log, which is made available to our programme makers and senior management. Feedback of this nature helps us when making decisions about future BBC programmes and services and your comment will play a part in this process.

Nothing less than Sissons kissing a picture of Prescott's arse on live TV would have been enough for me of course, but I really do wonder why I bothered, given the pathetic response.

6 comments:

Ian White, townliar.com said...

So just what, and how many cars does two-Jags have these days? he dosen't strike me as the sort to have a Smart car! or even a bike! maybe he makes up for it by recycling.
Why would anyone need two-jags? Unless they are perks of course, just a thought, bearing in mind they dont have to pay conjestion charges and can still smoke at their place of employ.
Yet another case of do as I say, not do as I do! from these new Labourites!

Anonymous said...

Its similar to the response you get from DBC - "pathetic". Now you know what it feels like Nick!

Ian White, townliar.com said...

Anonymous your right it reads very similar to most of my FOI requests, clearly its different when the shoe is on the other foot!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the raw cheek of 'Councillor' Wallis complaining to the BBC re John Prescott being called 2 jags!! He just needs to look at his own entry above, where he has put Councillor Mike Cartwrights face on an effigy of Lady Godiva.
Maybe it's my turn to send off a complaint...to The Standards Board as Nick is using his official Councillor title on this blogsite.
I found that illustration quite offensive.

miketually said...

But the BBC is supposed to be politically unbiased. I'm not sure that politicians are supposed to be politically unbiased...

Darlington Councillor said...

Anonymous - the image was not meant to offend, and from Mike's comments on his own blog, he seems to have taken it in good part.

It was considerably more interesting than the actual "event" which no-one understands and from the comments made to me, has actually succeeded in moving the Yes campaign backwards.