Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Sedgefield by-election III

My final visit to Sedgefield today before Polling Day to deliver what was the last bundle of leaflets at HQ. I took my iPod with me, and probably cut a strange figure tunelessly belting-out Simon and Garfunkle tracks around Alston Crescent...

There is an argument that Labour and the LibDems have spent perhaps too much time studying the other's campaigning tactics. So whilst I was delivering a leaflet in LibDem gold pronouncing "FibDems Exposed!" and highlighting their shameful voting record on crime, the LibDems were putting out a flyer in red and white, apeing Labour leaflets, and hilariously describing Phil Wilson (Labour's candidate) as a "London-based spin doctor."

This has been an off-the-peg LibDem campaign, albeit that they haven't had the time to get the scare stories going which have delivered seats in the past. Still, the final LibDem leaflet has all the usual components we've come to know and loathe - the cod "latest opinion poll figures", and the entirely made up pro-LibDem quote from an unamed local resident. By the way, when Greg Stone says he will "smash teen gangs!", I wonder what that means exactly in the context of Trimdon, Sedgefield and Chilton...

On a final note, I was really pleased that both Graham Robb from the Conservatives and Phil Wilson have made common cause against the BNP in this election. Graham has fought an honourable, if rather lonely, campaign and his daily postings on MySpace have been required reading. He hasn't got a prayer tomorrow, but still I wish him well (in losing to Phil Wilson, of course!)

3 comments:

Graham Robb said...

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your comments on the style of my campaign. I think that the blogs we each do have kept matters open and transparent and as a result honourable. I have not been lonely though, I've generally kept small teams of three people with me, while deploying lots of Conservative support workers eleswhere. The campaign has been stealthy but well supported. I'm still upbeat and positive about the result and hope that the Lib Dems, who started all the negative and misleading campaigning are finally persuaded that their textbook needs to be changed after Sedgefield. As far as Phil Wilson is concerned he is a man of integrity and which ever of us wins I'm sure the other will work with him on non-partisan projects (such as Aycliffe) to improve the lives of people in the constituency. I hope you liked my web broadcasts!

Anonymous said...

Greg Stone "man of steel". Makes me laugh everytime!

Greg said...

Bit after the event now, but the "smash teen gangs" was an allusion to Iain Wright's Hartlepool literature....