Thursday, December 07, 2006

Progress on the River Skerne

I'm delighted that things are already beginning to move following my complaint to officers about the Skerne at the southern end of the ward (see Skerne Valley below).

The grafitti should be cleaned off the bridge tomorrow. Clearly resolving problems with the footpath will take longer, but I've had a helpful email from Rob George the Principal Countryside Rights of Way Officer who is looking at a series of options to deal with the problems on the path.

Notice boards for the nature reserve are also being investigated.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Thet's great news.

I remember there being various noticeboards put up around the area then the scheme was first finished. Sadly, I also remember that they never lasted very long before being vandalised; I'm not sure how long new ones would last.

The old bridge, on the path between Hutton Avenue and Haughton Road, is looking very sad nowadays. One of blocks forming the 'pavement' on the bridge has cracked right through and looks quite unsafe. I know that a new bridge was planned for that site as part of the restoration scheme, but it seems to have been dropped; are there and plans for a new bridge?

Darlington Councillor said...

The n oticeboards will be based on a generic design that has been used elsewhere and should be robust.

Thanks for the point you make about the old bridge at the bottom of Hutton Avenue - I'll pass the comment on and get back to you.

Best wishes,

Nick.

Mike Barker said...

I am concenrned to read that the notice boards are being investigated. In the interest of public safety, I think we should be told just what they're being accused of.

Darlington Councillor said...

*sigh* Everyone's a critic....

Mike said...

The cracked/dropping paving block has been filled in with tarmac, I noticed this morning.