Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Down the Line

Got a call yesterday whilst on the train returning from London - would I like to do a live TV interview on Tyne Tees television at 6pm on the bus announcement from the Town Hall forecourt?

Darlington had been chosen of course because of our well-advertised problems in the mid-1990's during the bus wars. My heart sank, however when I found out I would have to do it "down the line" - ie wired up looking directly into a camera with no reporter present.

This is easily the most challenging way to do live TV. Last time I was interviewed like this, the earpiece kept slipping out, and I lost contact with the studio until a few moments before the interview began. When you start worrying about the hardware, you forget the key points you need to make, and the interview can go badly.

This time however, the technician and the cameraman were great, and I managed to get my key messages across, despite the light in my eyes, the biting wind and the chavs on bikes hollering.

Back to earth when I got back home though - keeping the family's priorities straight AJ and Sandy had been watching Blue Cow rather than ITV...

4 comments:

Mark Burton said...

Rather you than me, it takes some courage to portray your thoughts on any given matter in front of a camera... I dread Theresa even getting out our archived family movies.

Mike said...

Blue cow is awesome!

Darlington Councillor said...

Thanks both of you.

In honour of Blue Cow, I've posted a hyperlink from the blog mention. Personally I'm a Charlie and Lola man myself...

Mike said...

My daughter is slowly turning into Lola...