Sunday, December 31, 2006

2006 and all that

Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble of reading and sometimes commenting on my meanderings this year. The site has now had over 4200 hits since I started in August, and over 2500 since 10 November, which isn't bad going for an essentially parochial blog here in the North East. The Clustrmap suggests we've had hits from Lima to Tokyo and from Los Angeles to Manila (with the vast majority in Darlington, of course). On one day in December the blog had 50 visits from individuals and 110 hits in all (although this was probably due to the pull of Mike Barker's Health Warehouse "luxury hand-made mince pies" as the quiz's prize...)

I've updated the links section to include key blogs such as Harry's Place, Kerron Cross, Tygerland, Tom Watson MP and the right-wing (but required) Iain Dale's Diary. Check out the Provisional BBC Blog too (thanks to Antonia Bance for recommending it) which gave me a chuckle today.

2006 has been a good year for Darlington too. The town received funding for the congestion-busting Eastern Transport Corridor. The superb renovation of the Dolphin Centre was completed, whilst the work to Arts Centre proceeds. More jobs came to the town, and the nationally-recognised Education Village was opened by the Prime Minister. Darlington College have a state-of the-art new site on Haughton Road, and the wrappings began to come off the Pedestrian Heart scheme in the town centre. The Council remains a 4 star authority, recognised as one of the best in the country. It's the strongest position the town has been in for a generation.

On a personal note, given the date I've had to consider New Year's Resolutions. I thought about laying off the LibDems for a while, but decided against it - after all as WC Fields instructs, "Never give a sucker an even break". In the end, I've decided to join my eldest son James and become a vegan at least until my resemblance to Homer Simpson has diminished. Anyone spotting me hovering by the cold meat counter in ASDA has my permission to call security...

5 comments:

Ian White said...

Hi Nick

Happy New Year from townliar.com and keep posting.

IAN

Darlington Councillor said...

Only on a one-off basis of course... :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Nick,

Thanks for the link. I will of course reciprocate when I next update my sidebar.

Aaron / tygerland

Anonymous said...

PS. I liked your R4 reference in the title of his post. Craig Brown is a genius...

Darlington Councillor said...

Thanks, Aaron. "1066 and all that" is in my top 5 comedy reads, and developing Sellar and Yeatman's classic could have gone horribly wrong in some hands - it is as you say a measure of Craig Brown's genius that his Radio 4 comedy last year managed to be just as funny as its precursor.