Saturday, November 25, 2006

Everything you wanted to know about energy policy....

Up to Durham City last night to speak to the well-attended CLP (Constituency Labour Party) about the Partnership in Power process, which is the way Labour debates policy, and then goes on to form our manifesto at the subsequent General Election. I'm one of the four National Policy Forum representatives for the North East CLP's.

I'm finding a renewed interest in having policy forums around the North East since the process was reformed after the 2005 General Election. A real effort is being made to support CLP's as they hold policy discussions, and now Policy Commissions (which are the engines of the process) can receive submissions on issues of current concern and then debate them with Ministers.

Last night, there was also a discussion of energy policy, on which I do not profess to be an expert at the best of times. As I'd managed to leave my notes at home, however, I'm not sure delegates left the meeting any the wiser....

No comments: